*****
I can't even believe I am writing this post! I have been so excited for this season, obviously, and now that it's here I've gotten myself a little overwhelmed. Which happens right?Presents still aren't bought. The house still isn't decorated. I haven't had time to make the wreath for the door. We've done one, yep just one, Christmasy thing. And christmas is 16 days away. Did I mention that I work Christmas Eve and Christmas? And I have a total of four days off work between now and then. I had a moment where all of the sudden I was asking why do we even bother? It's not going to be the normal Christmas season with me working every weekend anyway. It's definitely not going to be a normal Christmas spent at the hospital. We are just way too busy. We don't have time to do everything we normally do. And life is just in the way. So what's the point?
And then... The realization.
I felt so guilty. Because are the presents, Santa, decorations, parties, traditions and treats what this season is really about? Of course not so why stress myself about it all? Yeah they are fun but that's not the point. My Christmas season can't be "ruined" just because I don't have the time to watch every Christmas movie and see every amazing light display in Utah.
Here are the four things I'm going to do to make this season more enjoyable AND more centered on Christ.
one || keep the decorations up long into january. Why not? We were late to get them up so what's the harm in enjoying them a little longer?
one || watch or read the Christmas devotional (I worked, as seems to be the usual these days and was unable to watch it). Once, twice, as many times as I need to get into the appropriate holiday spirit. Make quote printables from it to display around the house.
two || every day off work schedule something fun to do with Tristan. Whether it be gingerbread houses or just watching Christmas movies with hot chocolate it needs to penciled in so that everyone is on the same page.
two || bring back the childhood tradition of filling Christ's manger by serving others. We used to put one straw in for every nice thing said or done to anyone in the family or outside the family. And we had to fill it up otherwise baby Jesus wouldn't have a comfortable place to sleep come Christmas morning.
three || take care of myself. It's easy when you want to do so many fun things to sacrifice sleep, eating well, and showering (wait... Did I just say that out loud?) I need 7-8 hours of sleep to survive so I'm going to make that happen even when working nights!
three || study the Christmas story. We read it every Christmas Eve but this year I want to really read it. Really understand it. And have it truly bring me closer to my Savior.
four || stop stressing about doing everything. There is always next year. Say yes to things that really matter to you but say no to the things that are just overwhelming.
four || simply love, pray for others, be a light, spread Christmas cheer to the families who are spending their Christmas in the NICU, take a step back and be aware of others.
*****
The good news is though, that since writing this post, my family came over and my mom helped decorate the tree. My dad put the lights on my Charlie Brown tree so I can put ornaments on it today. And the house is now not only decorated but semi-clean! And we got to dip chocolates- Christmasy thing #2! Thank goodness for family to brighten my mood.

Beautiful beautiful beautiful!!!! Thank you for writing this. It's exactly how I feel. There can be so much commercial pressure this season-- and we run ourselves into the ground and forget to honor Jesus. I love this post so, so much!
ReplyDeleteI love this post! I love how you came up with realistic goals and things you can do, both for fun and to focus on the real reason for the season! :) Thanks for the reminder of why we celebrate!
ReplyDeleteLove this! So so true. Christ is the reason for the season.
ReplyDeleteI am also overwhelmed but more just with projects that I'm working on than anything else. And they all happen to be Christmas presents for my kids. But, because they are gifts, it helps me to enjoy doing them and not be so overwhelmed by it.
ReplyDeleteWe also did the straw in the manger tradition. I loved it. It was the one time growing up my brother and I actually got along. We were doing nice things for each other so we weren't fighting as much.
I loved this post. Thank you for sharing and reminding me to just take a step back for a minute and really enjoy this season and the true meaning of it. i love that tradition your family has. I may just have to adopt it for our family. Thanks for sharing cute girl!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Daisy. I definitely needed the reminder and now I'm feeling so much better :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by! I'm glad it could be a good reminder for someone else too!
ReplyDeleteOh my Michelle, you are too sweet! Thank you so much that all means so much :) I'm glad you're delivering here too, when I finally get pregnant I'm going there even if it's not the closest hospital! Miss you girl!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your projects! You are a supermom! It really is the best tradition, it totally worked :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Jessie!
ReplyDeleteTotally loved this post - I have some of the same goals to make this Christmas more Christ centered too! I started using the devotional plan She Reads Truth for advent (you can use it all year round too if you haven't already heard of it) and I LOVE it so far!
ReplyDeleteI found your blog through September Farm - you have a new follower in me!
www.madeintheshadeblog.com
kristin you are amazing & i really connected with this post - i am feeling stressed too. finals, christmas shopping, throwing a christmas party, getting all the "fun" out of the season. but the first time i really tried to stop & feel the christmas spirit was at the devotional sunday. you have inspired me to do that, more! thank you!
ReplyDeletei adore this. i feel like we are simplifying too during these years away from family and in a tiny apartment being so busy, so thanks for these most important reminders! :)
ReplyDeletexo welltraveledwife.com
Me too, thank goodness for family!
ReplyDeleteI haven't heard of that! Good to know, I'll have to take a look at it! And thanks for following along, always love new friends :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so jealous that you got to go to the Christmas devotional! Thanks Kayla :) good luck on finals!
ReplyDeleteIt would be so different to spend the holidays away from family. I'm glad you guys got to go somewhere awesome for thanksgiving! Can't wait to see what you have planned for Christmas :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Chelsea! You should adopt the tradition, it totally worked! I plan on using it all year round when I have kids ;)
ReplyDeleteyeah it's hard to not let yourself get super stressed this time of year. i'm probably going to leave my decorations up late this year too. why not?
ReplyDeleteSeriously, thank goodness for family :) yes it is a little different but once I changed my mindset I realized it wouldn't be so bad. somebody has to work on Christmas and I'm just glad I'm not in the hospital for Christmas.
ReplyDeleteEven after writing this I'm still stressed, it's too bad presents can't buy themselves :) haha yay for leaving decorations up!
ReplyDelete