November 5, 2014

My gratitude list.

This time last year I was finally coming out of the darkness that had encompassed me for months. I still vividly remember the relief and optimism I felt as I wrote this post. I'm happy to say that I have not fallen back into that darkness for a full year! I've had the normal ups and downs that come with hormones, stress, & disappointment but no full scale anxiety attacks and no weeks of staying in bed. Hallelujah! I loved putting the things that I was grateful for into writing last year so I think I'll make it a tradition.

Here are the 30 things I am especially grateful for this year:

1. My little family. As we had hoped to expand our family this year, it was easy to forget how lucky I am with the family of three that I do have. I love my Tristan and the way we've been able to grow together this year through trials and good times. Everyday I am grateful for my Kacee who can bring a smile to my face when no one else can. She will always be my baby girl.


2. Our house. This time last year I would not have even dreamed of finding our home! There was so much going against us and the end of the house hunting journey seemed out of sight. I was discouraged and losing faith. But here we are coming up on NINE months in our blue house on Waterford Lane. I love it!


3. My job. I have the best job in the whole world, no really, I do. I absolutely love going to work. I get to work with the cutest, strongest, & sassiest babies out there and each one has a special place in my heart. I don't care if I'm taking care of a baby who is just learning to eat or if I'm taking care of the sickest baby on the unit I just love taking care of these sweet spirits.

4. The DiCristofano side of the family. This past weekend, Tata Nadia ended up in the hospital for emergency surgery. Within an hour of finding out, every family member (her kids, nieces & nephews, siblings) was either on a plane or in the car on their way to Utah. It was amazing to see everyone drop everything to be here. I love that there are so few of them because that just means that they are close. I grew up with a big extended family which I absolutely love but I don't think I realized you could be so close to each and every aunt, uncle, and cousin until I met Tristan's family. That's a lot harder to do with 30+ cousins ranging from 25 years to 1 year old.


5. The sunrise. There is just something about watching the sunrise that makes me feel like everything will be okay. That each day really is a new day.


6. Chloe & Parker. They really are my baby fix. And they are pretty much the cutest kids in the whole world. Ashley is so kind to share them with me :) I could probably snuggle Chloe all day long. And her laugh... melts my heart. Parker is sweet and mischievous. He reminds us that it's the little things in life that bring the most joy. Like riding the cow train and feeding Kacee his dinner.


7. Warm showers. Andrew's letter this week reminded me just how blessed we are,
"At the beginning of the week we had a cold shower until we got the thing that connects to the shower head and heats the water. Even though it's fixed, it just takes the cold bite off of the water unless you use hardly any water pressure." I'm having flashbacks to cold showers in Ecuador... yikes!

8. On that note, my bathtub. Oh how I love bubble baths with lavender before bed on a cold winter night. I'm so glad I finally have my own bathtub!

9. Our trip to Europe. Tristan truly spoiled me last Christmas by making all my dreams come true. And it has lit the travel fire within me and made me realize that we can afford to travel if we make it a priority. It was amazing learning so much about another culture and experiencing things that are so beyond anything I could have imagined.



10. Utah's four seasons. I really can't decide which season is my favorite. Therefore, I am grateful that Utah gives us a good dose of all four. I'll take dry heat over humid heat any day. I love springtime when the trees start blossoming. Fall in the mountains is beautiful and we all know how much I love the snow...

11. iMovie. A new hobby I've been developing this year is making movies of our trips.

12. Mixbook. Another hobby I've been developing is scrapbooking. I have enjoyed having our books to go through and relive different parts of our lives.

13. Christmas trees. We have the perfect spot in our house for a tall Christmas tree and I cannot wait to put it up!

14. Shoes. They just make me happy.

15. My parent's boat. So many amazing memories have been made on the boat. Whether it's a week at Lake Powell or a freezing morning on Deer Creek, those are the memories I wouldn't trade for anything. We are so blessed that they have a boat that we can enjoy until we can afford to buy our own boat.

16. Marshmallow macaron, chai and matte tea. This is the only way I get through night shifts. And it tastes like Christmas in a cup so that's a major bonus.

17. The blogging community. I've blogged for years but mostly did it for my own journaling purposes. In the past few months I've met some amazing people through the blogging world and I can't wait to continue to meet people who have similar interests and experiences.

18. My planner and my lists. I don't know what I would do without them...

19. Lyndi & Sophie. I'm so grateful their dad trusted me, a stranger at the time, to nanny his kids for a summer. I really like to spoil them, I love getting notes and pictures from Lyndi, and I have truly enjoyed watching them grow up over the past few years.


20. Pillow talk. Some of my favorite moments of the day are laying in bed talking and laughing with Tristan. For a few months we were going to bed at different times (I'd go to bed super early and he'd join me around midnight). At the time, I thought it was necessary and wouldn't make a big difference. We've since adjusted our sleep schedules so we can go to bed at the same time most nights and it really does make a difference. I didn't realize how much I missed it.

21. Modern day revelation. We have amazing church leaders and I love listening to them twice a year during general conference. Little quotes like these get me through the good and the bad days.


22. Prayer. I have no doubt that my Father in Heaven hears and answers my prayers. He may not answer them in the way I hope or expect but He always answers them. I'm grateful to know that if I am living right, I can trust that He will guide my life where it needs to go.

23. Temples. We haven't been as good about going to the temple this year as we could have been, that is definitely a goal for this next year. But, the times we have gone, I am always reminded of the peace and comfort that comes from being in the Lord's house.


24. The knowledge that families are forever. I can't imagine going through life not knowing if you'd see your loved ones again.

25. The Sacrament Meeting they hold on Sundays at the hospital for all those who have to work. I didn't expect this when I first starting working Sundays so when I found out that around 10 am every Sunday they hold a short Sacrament Meeting, I was so overwhelmed with gratitude that I actually teared up that first time. As a new nurse I work a lot of Sundays so I'm grateful for the people who take time out of their Sunday to bring us the Sacrament and a spiritual thought.

26. My Patriarchal Blessing.

27. Sunday dinner with our families. That is one thing we always look forward to each week. Whether it is the Greenwood week or the DiCristofano week we are always excited to spend time with our family. Lately, we've been enjoying watching Louie's slideshow of pictures from France. And lately, we've been enjoying teaching Nate the games we've learned since he left on his mission.

28. Responsibility. I've learned that if I have too much time on my hands, I don't handle life as well. I just like to have things that I need to do.

29. JCWs & Taco Amigo. We may or may not go eat at one of those places once a week. Tristan always jokes that they can put a smile on my face when even he can't. So I like raspberry oreo shakes and fries? It's fine.

30. Water. Water to drink. Water to swim in. Water to boat in. Water to shower in. Water.

Wow, if you made it to the end of this list, you're amazing! I think I need to do this more often because it actually was really hard coming up with thirty things... I hope everyone can take some time to make their own list! If you do, be sure to send me the link so I can see it!

H A P P Y  N O V E M B E R !

15 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gratitude list!! Your home is beautiful! How neat yall got to visit Europe together - that's definitely on my bucket list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous house! We are in a similar boatthe last couple Christmas seasons, I had hoped the next our family would grow. It's not in His timing yet, but it is good to focus on all we do have! Great list. Praying for the other stuff...;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for linking up with us! I loved your list but I love it even more than you included your planner and your lists! I am right there with ya girl! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these!! They are So awesome!! :) That sunrise is amazing & your home is beautiful! Thank you bunches for linking up with us. So glad to have a new blogging friend. See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with the warm showers one! There is nothing better than warm showers or baths! (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our families will grow when the time is right as hard as that is to accept sometimes :) We'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for doing these link-ups! I love making new blogging friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your list! We are planning a trip to Europe next year. Looks like a blast! :) And you are very blessed to have 4 seasons...I feel like down here in Texas we only have 2..really hot...and really cold lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun! Where are you guys planning on going? I want to go back :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We would like to hit Paris, London, and somewhere in Ireland in one trip. I've never been out of the country before so it's very exciting and nerve racking. Any tips? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhh! I'm so excited for you! So I've heard that the cheapest flights are into Ireland, if that's on your list I would start there. Paris is amazing! But it is dirty so expect that. We went on airbnb.com to find a place to stay. We ended up in a cute little apartment and I would highly recommend it! We were close to the metro and it felt like we were locals rather than tourists. My favorite places in Paris were Sacre Couer, Versailles, and going to the top of the Notre Dame. Of course you have to climb the Eiffel Tower as well :) You'll have to give me tips on Ireland and London! I want to go there someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks!! That's a good tip to fly into Ireland. We actually used airbnb when we went to NYC about a month ago and absolutely loved it. I loved being able to grocery shop and cook, we felt like locals too :) So much better than a hotel. Do you speak any French or were you able to find your way around okay?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad I found this blog. My family had a boat growing up too, my dad sold it last year :( but I told my husband that someday we will have a boat. Seriously my happiest memories are on a boat. That's cool that they hold sacrament meeting for the workers at the hospital. I didn't know they did that either.

    ReplyDelete
  14. usually Utah Lake because we lived in Provo. But we went to Lake Powell every year until I was a teenager. One of my favorite places on Earth!

    ReplyDelete