The other day I received an update email from OSSO that brought me to tears. OSSO or Orphanage Support Services Organization is a wonderful group of people who volunteer to work in orphanages based out of Ecuador. There are two different opportunities either Quito, the second most populated city in Ecuador, or Cuenca, also a city but not nearly as modernized as Quito and set in the highlands. This past summer right before Tristan and I got married I had the opportunity to live in Cuenca and serve the children there. There is no possible way I could ever share my complete experience in a single blog post and to simply say that the experience changed my life forever would be an understatement. But, after receiving the email, my experiences and the children I love have been in the front of my mind and I couldn't pass by an opportunity to share even just a little bit about it. I was only there for a short two and a half months but it only took me two days to fall in love with each and every one of the children that we worked with. I wanted to start off by explaining a little about the orphanages and the children. There are two main orphanages that we worked in, to maintain the privacy and uphold the Ecuadorian law, I am not allowed to name them but one is owned by Catholic nuns and the children there are anywhere from newborn to 7 years of age, and the second was actually started by OSSO and the children there are anywhere from 3-24 years of age but these children have special needs, anything from cerebral palsy to autism. Every day from 7:00-12:00 and 2:00-6:00 we would be at those two orphanages helping the children get dressed, fed and ready for the day and then did fun games and learning activities with them until it was time for bed. Beyond the two main orphanages we also worked at four other orphanages that we didn't go to everyday but would go once or twice a week for a few hours. My kids blessed my life. I gave everything I had while I was there to help those kids and be an example to them but I know without a doubt that they did more for me than I could have ever done for them. They are amazing children with a range of personalities and quirks that left their little handprints on my heart forever. It is incredible how our Heavenly Father can show us his love through the words and actions of others. Every day I felt God's love emanating from our beautiful kids, and I am here to say that not every day was a perfect day. There were days when our little kids would not listen to anything we said and would end up throwing dirt or biting. There were days when my special needs kids would cry and cry and no matter what I did I couldn't get them to stop. But, the second I got a smile or a laugh from any of them, the second they gave me hugs or kisses, the second they showed me their happiness and love for life I knew that I would never be the same, that every day was perfect and worth it. I have been home for just over six months now and not a day goes by that I don't think of Ecuador. I still have dreams about my kids and I still look up prices for a flight back there. I can't wait to save up enough money to take Tristan back with me so that he finally understands my love for my kids, so that he finally understands all the adorable quirks that they had and why it makes me cry anytime I think of them. But most of all, I cannot wait to go to Heaven and see them. There will no longer be a language barrier, and I will be able to see my perfect special needs babies in a body that fits their perfect spirits. I cannot wait to hug them and tell them how much they affected my life and tell them how much I love them!
I wish I could post pictures of the kids but this is a public blog and due to Ecuadorian Law we are not allowed to post pictures for the public to see. If you would like more information about OSSO visit their website at www.orphanagesupport.org they take short term and long term volunteers all year long. I would recommend this experience to anyone and I can promise that you will never be the same!

This is the view of Cuenca, Ecuador from the balcony at the house that we lived in!
The fruit market! This is only 1/100 of the amazing fruit market. Seriously, if the children aren't enough to convince you that Ecuador is the place to be then I will be the first to testify that the fruit in Ecuador is better than anything I have ever tasted. If you love fruit, you must go to Ecuador!
Yes, this is very common along the streets of Ecuador. This and roasting guinea pigs!
The amazing girls I had the opportunity to work with, learn from, and become lifelong friends. While in Ecuador we also got to experience more of Ecuador than just Cuenca. We went on five field trips while I was there.
1. Hiking to the waterfalls. A hike through luscious green jungle accompanied by incredible views and the opportunity to jump into the pool of water.
2. La Playa. A day spent on a deserted beach in Ecuador complete with hammocks, coconut milk and sunburns!
3. Ingapirca and the Cathedral. A history lesson with some amazing things to see and views from the top of the world, or so it felt!
4. Guayaquil. A spiritual morning in the Guayaquil Temple where we got to meet people who had driven 12 hours through the night to be there that morning, talk about a humbling experience. Followed by a tour through the biggest city in Ecuador. Holding Iguanas, standing under a tree to have a "bucket" of Iguana urine completely cover you, 444 steps to a lighthouse with incredible views of the city and ocean, standing on a mountain above the clouds, and Ecuadorian malls and piers.
5. Ziplining through the jungles of Ecuador. I do believe this one is self explanatory!
Thank you to all my sponsors and of course my mom and dad who helped me cover the cost of getting there. Thank you to the Roseros, my family in Ecuador, and the Owens, assistant directors who put up with a household of 20 girls. And a huge thank you to Dr. Rex Head for starting OSSO and giving so many people, like myself, the opportunity of a lifetime.
No comments:
Post a Comment