August 24, 2015

McKai's Birth Story - Part 1

It's officially a month later and I'm finally sitting down to write McKai's birth story! This is the part of the story that is more words than pictures, you've been warned.


It started at my 38 week appointment, Tuesday July 21st. Baby had been measuring small for a few weeks and I hadn't gained any weight in over a month. When the doctor measured me at 35 weeks again he decided it was time to look into it. He wanted to schedule an ultrasound that day but they were double booked and couldn't get me in until the next day. I went home in a complete daze. When my sister was measuring small, she had two ultrasounds and delivered her baby all that same day. I didn't know what to expect but the emotions of excitement/anxiousness all wrapped up in disbelief kept me numb most of the day. Luckily, I had started crossing things off my list the week before. I'd gotten a pedicure with my mom and sister, baby's room was organized, clothes washed and hung, plenty of diapers and wipes stored and I'd made freezer meals. When I got home from my appointment I had to keep busy so I deep-cleaned my whole house and finally packed my hospital bag. I couldn't decide if I wanted them to deliver my baby the next day or not. It was such a strange feeling, all of the sudden it was very real. I was going to have a baby. Possibly sooner rather than later. I kept going back and forth from not wanting to get my hopes up because I was so excited to meet him that I didn't want the next two weeks to drag if they decided not to deliver him early. To praying that the ultrasound would show everything normal and I'd go home to let him continue to cook for the next two weeks because I was completely not ready to push a baby out of my body.

^ the toes are ready for you baby :) ^

My ultrasound appointment on Wednesday wasn't until late afternoon. My mom and mother-in-law both offered to go with me since Tristan was still in St. Louis. Of course I woke up at 7 am and was unable to fall back asleep. I was so nervous and the anticipation was killing me. It was the longest morning of my life. Once I couldn't take it any longer I texted my mom to see if she wanted to go to lunch before my appointment. I put my hospital bag in my car, just in case. And took Kacee to my in-laws house, just in case. Before meeting my mom and my sisters at Costa Vida. We then headed to my doctors office for the growth ultrasound. They didn't call me back until 30 minutes after my scheduled appointment which I know isn't a huge deal but that day I was so impatient. The ultrasound went mostly well. My fluid levels were fine and blood flow through the umbilical cord was fine. But, baby was measuring at 34 weeks which was less than the 3rd percentile. The doctor wanted me to have an ultrasound with maternal fetal medicine to get a second opinion but they couldn't fit me in until Friday, two more days of waiting! And he also wanted me to get non-stress tests everyday until my ultrasound.

^ a bump picture, just in case it was my last one ^

My first non-stress test was that same day. Baby boy was sleeping so it took them a little longer to get what they needed but once they did, everything looked good! The nurse stressed over and over again that I needed to be doing kick counts multiple times a day and that if anything even felt off, I needed to go to labor and delivery. Luckily, McKai was extra active those last few days in my belly. It was as if he felt the need to tell me that he was doing just fine even if he was little.

^ non-stress test ^

Thursday I had my second non-stress test. Everything looked good again but the nurse still seemed so nervous that they weren't delivering me. It was starting to make me feel nervous. I felt like I had to be so aware of him at all times because if anything happened, it would be my fault for not catching it sooner. My mom and I went shopping for preemie clothes after my appointment to distract me. Then I went to see Ant Man with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law. After all that it was finally time to pick up Tristan from the airport, he was home!!!

Friday was the big day. The day that determined whether or not we were meeting our baby boy soon. Of course the ultrasound wasn't until that afternoon but Tristan was home! That morning went much quicker than the previous two :) That morning I started having more frequent contractions especially in my back. Nothing super regular, I never even timed them, and nothing excruciating but they were pretty uncomfortable. I kept it to myself because I knew we were going to see the doctor later that day but I was getting excited! We went to lunch with Tristan's family before heading to our appointment. This ultrasound showed that he was indeed measuring small but also that his head was measuring bigger than his body. That was because he wasn't getting enough nutrients for whatever reason, they had no way of telling why, so the body was sending what nutrients it was getting to the most vital organ, the brain. The doctor talked with my ob-gyn and they decided it was time to induce me. We were having a baby!

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment