May 13, 2012

The best news ever.


For three months I have been going back and forth from complete nervousness to total confidence.

I have gone from checking the mail everyday to hoping that it would never come.

In my creative writing class I actually wrote a story about how I imagined it would be if the answer was yes.

I thought about sharing said story but after going back to read it decided otherwise.

For some reason, sharing a story written in third person about myself made me feel conceited.

Instead you get the real story.

It was a clear spring morning. The sun glistened off the dew resting on each blade of grass as I made my way to the mailbox. Kacee zigzagged back and forth across the sidewalk as she sniffed everything in sight. I slipped the key in the lock and held my breath. The door swung open and I let out a sigh of discouragement. I tossed the magazine in the garbage can as I headed back to the apartment. For the rest of the day I opened up my email account twice every hour hoping for an email from the school. Every time it buzzed indicating new mail I crossed my fingers. Each time was more disappointing.
 Such was the life for three weeks. Every day I hurried to the mailbox hoping to find the long-awaited letter. And every day I left that mailbox feeling more and more panicked. They had told us that we would know ‘by the end of April at the latest’. I continued to check my email constantly. It was obsessive and addicting but I couldn’t stop. Every time I saw family or friends they asked me if I had heard yet. I would tell them no. I would also tell them that when I did find out if it was a negative they would never know but if it was a positive I’d let them know right away. I didn’t realize how real that would be…
Monday, April 30th finally rolled around and I was convinced that this was the day. Tristan tried to warn me not to get my hopes up, that it might not come today, but I wouldn’t listen. I had been stressing about this for the past three and a half months and I was ready to get over it. I had plan A and I had plan B. Depending on what was in that letter would determine which plan I would follow. I checked my email anytime I thought about it. Nothing came. I had all but given up for the day when I was sitting on the couch waiting for Tristan to come upstairs so we could meet my family for my brother’s birthday dinner. I decided that I would check one last time. It buzzed. University of Utah. My heart started to pound. I wanted to scream. I wanted to run downstairs to Tristan. But I sat frozen until he finally emerged. I handed him the phone without a word. He scanned it before his face lit up. “Open it!” he said. My eyes started to water and every doubt that had ever crossed my mind came forward. “I can’t open it if it’s a no…” Tristan tried to convince but I didn’t want to ruin Andrew’s birthday if I was upset.
 Four hours later we arrived home. We went downstairs to our room and opened my computer. I slowly made my way to the website and entered my username and password. I put my mouse on the link that would change the next two years of my life. I paused. I tried to get myself to just click the mouse but I couldn’t. I paused longer. Tristan urged me to open it. I couldn’t. Tristan covered my eyes with his hand and clicked the mouse. It felt like I was blind for an eternity before he finally released his hand. All I saw was Congratulations before I screamed out loud and jumped into Tristan’s arms.


1 comment:

  1. woot woot!! i love this. you are an exceptionally amazing writer :) i miss you!

    ReplyDelete