I have officially made it through my first year of nursing school.
I only have one year left until I graduate college.
I got all A's this semester.
And I'm living in Maryland.
What the?
After I walked out of that last final, we began the 36 hour journey to our next adventure. (Did I mention that we only got 3 hours of sleep the night before because of packing?) Needless to say I was out cold by the time we hit I-80.
Day 1: Wyoming and Nebraska. I don't like Wyoming. I said it before when my brother and I drove to Wisconsin last year and I'll say it again. For some reason, Wyoming feels like it is never going to end when driving through it. Tristan feels that way about Nebraska. So we were in for a long day trying to get through both. Our first stop was Omaha, NE. We were 70 miles away when the snow that we had been driving through the entire day turned scary. All of the sudden it was a blizzard and there was three inches of snow on the road. We saw so many cars slid off the road that Tristan started joking that maybe in Nebraska it's standard for cars to just sit in the middle and wait for the storm to pass. There were semi-trucks tipped over left and right. And it was midnight. All we wanted to do was get to our hotel and sleep. That 70 miles felt like a lifetime. We were stressed, so Kacee was stressed, and it added an extra 2 1/2 hours to our drive. But mostly I was grateful that we were safe.
Day 2: We crossed the border to Iowa within 10 minutes of leaving our hotel. The snow had turned to rain and we were optimistic that driving would be better today. It was interesting to drive through Iowa and Illinois during the day. Last year, Nate and I drove through both those states during the middle of the night so I had no recollection of them. Iowa was gorgeous! Rolling hills and farmland everywhere! Illinois had the biggest windmill farms I've ever seen. Finally, Indiana. At this point we were convinced that we could drive straight through to Maryland. Our GPS had us arriving at 5:30 a.m. and we were just ready to get there. Unfortunately, our apartment didn't open up until 10:00 a.m. and I decided I didn't want to just chill for five hours once we got there. So we stopped in Indianapolis for the night.
Day 3: Our final day of driving! We knew we were getting closer when the roads turned from flat and straight to hilly and curvy. My all time favorite state that we drove through is West Virginia. Talk about absolutely gorgeous! Just after we crossed over into Maryland we saw a motor home blow up on the other side of the freeway. Literally, half of the motor home was gone. It was insane. Traffic was completely stopped for five miles after that. People were out of their cars walking around or sun tanning on the hood of their cars. We were grateful to be on the other side of the freeway but it was kind of cool to see anyways. We made it "home" at 5:30 p.m. Our apartments are beautiful (pictures later once there aren't suitcases everywhere!) and we are pretty happy to be here.
So far, Kacee and I are still struggling to adapt to our new environment. Previous summers, I've been the office administrator so I felt like I had a reason to be here. This year, I'm just the wife. After working two jobs last summer, to my first year of nursing school, to absolutely nothing, it will be an interesting transition but also a well deserved break. Besides, I wouldn't dream of being anywhere but where Tristan is. As for Kacee, she hasn't moved off the bed all morning. When I take her outside she shakes and pulls for me to let her go back inside. Needless to say we're still adjusting. Tristan on the other hand is ready to take off running. The guys in his office are already doing so well he just wants to get out and sell. I'm grateful for him and his hard work. Here's to another summer.


No comments:
Post a Comment