March 6, 2014

you're gonna miss this


A few months ago Tristan and I were struggling with a big decision. I vividly remember that I was driving home from the chiropractor, sitting at the light to get on the freeway at 90th South, when I got my answer. Tristan and I had just gotten off the phone when a song came on that I've always known but never thought much about.

You're Gonna Miss This by Trace Adkins. If you haven't heard it before, I highly recommend that you go listen to it now.

I've also heard this coming from church leaders though, not just country singers. Remember the talk given at General Conference in October 2008? Finding Joy in the Journey by Thomas S. Monson. This is so important to remember and yet it is so hard to put into practice. This is something I sincerely want to work on.

As I am in my last semester of nursing school I have found myself wishing it away. I only have two months left and yet that feels like an eternity. I can't wait to not have to come home and worry about homework. I can't wait to graduate. I can't wait to start working for money rather than for free. But, for the next two months I'm going to try to enjoy every day. I'm going to try to think about the little things about nursing school that I'm going to miss. I'm going to try not to countdown the days and try not to complain if they don't seem to be going fast enough. Hold me to it people, if I start complaining send me here :)


The great thing about this concept is that it can apply anywhere at any stage of life. Whether you are in high school (hold on to those days, growing up is hard!!), whether you are single, whether you are newlywed (the best decision Tristan and I ever made was getting to know each other before starting a family), or whether you are poor college students living in a sketchy apartment. That's all I know so far, since I'm not a mom yet, but I'm sure as a mom there are so many moments that this applies to as well. I hope that this is a good reminder for you too.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment