October 8, 2014

The Truth About Infertility



1 | Infertility is different for everyone. This is the truth about my infertility.

When Tristan and I first decided that we were ready to have kids, we had no idea the journey we would be on. After the first few months of trying, I had decided that we would keep it a secret between the two of us until it had been at least a year. That lasted all but a few more months when I had a complete breakdown and ended up telling my mom. Slowly, over the next few months, we told the rest of our immediate family. This was a blessing in disguise. I don't know why I thought keeping it a secret was the best course of action. As more and more people have been let in on the secret, I have realized there is strength in numbers. I have realized that talking to people who are on a similar journey makes this experience just a little more bearable. So here we are, announcing to the world (or those who read my blog anyway...) that this is what we are going through and if you are in the same boat, I would love to band together to help each other survive.


2 | 1 in 8 couples are infertile. Infertility is, unfortunately, more common than we think.

The first month we realized that we wouldn't conceive immediately, we just happened to be with some friends and they told us that they had been trying for a number of years now. Since that day, I think of this couple whenever I want to give up. If they can do it, so can I.

Last month, I worked with a nurse who was very open about her struggle to conceive. It was at that moment that I realized how therapeutic it was to talk to someone who knew what it was like. Her struggle was different than mine - some people have PCOS, some people have endometriosis, and some people are infertile for no known reason... some people have been trying for 3 months, some a year, and some ten years - and yet despite the differences, it is a hard journey on both of us. She was the only person I told the first month we tried Clomid. And when she asked me the next time I saw her how the Clomid went, I cried the whole drive home because as devastated as I was that it didn't work, I was so grateful she remembered our conversation and asked me about it because it felt so good to be able to tell someone.


3 | We are at that time in life when everyone is having babies.

There is a new baby announcement that pops up on Instagram, Facebook or the blogging world on a daily basis. I don't know why I torture myself by following other peoples "bumpdates" but I think it brings me hope. A lot of the time it makes me angry, jealous, or sad. But, at the same time I am so happy that they are pregnant, that they are living the dream and I can't wait until it is my turn.




4 | There is a void in my life where Baby DiCristofano is supposed to be.

The past few months I've been dying for a vacation. I've come to the realization that I am using travel to fill the void but unfortunately we can't afford to travel as much as I'd like. Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, what did you find that filled the void that was a little cheaper than the exotic adventures that I wish I could go on? It is frustrating to feel like I have nothing to look forward to. I have no idea when this journey will come to an end, if it does come to an end.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a planner through and through. I've had my life planned out since I was little. Now is the time that I had planned for kids to come into the picture. Heavenly Father has a different plan for us. And though that is so hard to accept at times, I know His plan is so much better than mine. So for now, I just need to figure out what He wants me to be doing with my life.


5 | The side effects of Clomid are getting the best of me.

I am not a crier. But, since taking Clomid I cry on a daily basis. I cry at work. I cry on the way home from work. I cry because Tristan has to go to bowling. I cry because we aren't pregnant, again. I cry because of nothing, absolutely nothing. Sometimes I cry three times a day. Tristan is super supportive but sometimes he just laughs. Because he knew me before Clomid, and I'm not a crier.

Hot flashes. Don't even get me started. The other day Tristan and I were snuggling and talking before bed when I had a hot flash. He could feel it! Tristan felt for one brief second that I was having a hot flash. Heaven help us...

I'll spare you the TMI of the many other side effects that I am trying to optimistically deal with. But, prayers are always welcome. Poor, poor Tristan did not sign up for this.


6 | There is a monthly battle of trying to be optimistic but trying not to get your hopes up. It's an exhausting journey full of ups and downs. Though it isn't the journey I imagined, I'm grateful for the way it has helped Tristan and I grow closer, the way it has shown my Heavenly Father's hand in my life, and the way it has shown me that I am stronger than I think and I can do hard things.


8 comments:

  1. Kristin you are so strong!!! thanks for sharing I hope that everything works out. Its hard to realize that everything is in the Lords timing and it is all for the best even if its not what we want, in the future you will look back and realize that you learned something from your struggles and are a better person because of it. The lord knows the timing that is best and if you have faith it will all work out! looking back at the hardest things that have happened to me and rather things that have not happened to me, i now realize that it was all about the timing and the timing was wrong at that point. hope you are doing good!!! Love ya!! -Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin I love you! It took Tyler and I about 9 months before we got pregnant and I know that isn't as long as others but it was so hard for me. I was like you and wanted to keep things between just me and Tyler and did for awhile. I opened up to my best friend first because I didn't even know how to approach the topic with my family, they are all extremely fertile. I think that was what made things a lot harder on me, both my sisters and Tyler's have no problems getting pregnant so I always assumed I'd be the same way. It was such a hard struggle, there really is a void where your babies should be once you decide you are going to start your family. I finally opened up to more people at around 8 months because I couldn't keep it inside anymore. I was so shocked at how much love and support we got from those we opened up to and how many other people had gone through something similar or were still going through something similar. We were beyond blessed to get pregnant the month we were supposed to start going to a fertility specialist. I remember everyone asking me how many tests I took when I found out I was pregnant and responding just one. I remember my sister (who I never opened up to) going "how did you honestly believe just one test, with my first I took like 10 to make sure it was right." and my response was "well I had seen so many negative tests that the second I saw a positive one I wasn't going to question it" and thinking how lucky it must be to get pregnant so easily that you've never known the anxiety and pain of seeing a negative test. I'll be praying for you Kristin, and if you ever need someone to talk to, hang out with, go on a walk with, or anything please let me know. I love you so much and miss the good old days when we would get together with the gang every weekend. I really miss you and I always love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing a piece of your story, it definitely helps to know I'm not alone and that others have made it through :) As for the negative pregnancy tests, ugh... I think around month 4 I wrote in my journal "I think I've hit stage 2: anger. Why should I spend all my money on stupid expensive pregnancy tests anyways?" Oh the joys. Congratulations on your little girl! I'm so excited for you!

      Delete
  3. Kristin, you are so strong and beautiful. It's funny how naive most of us are before we start trying to get pregnant, I know I was. Since the twins I tend to compare myself to others and get really jealous and even angry. I know it only makes it worse but sometimes you can't help but do it. Stay strong, your courage and strength will help so many other women going through the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Courtney. Your comments are so sweet, when what you have had to go through is what I would consider so much worse. You are an amazing example of strength and faith!

      Delete
  4. How did I miss this post? Kristin...I FEEl your pain. I need the same advice. I cannot fill this void. Going to school, working or even playing housewife all day just doesn't do it for me. I know something is missing. I feel a part of me missing and I don't know how to fill it! Oh how I would love to travel all the time. It really does help...a bit. But then you come back to reality and start your period a week later and you just know you are stuck waiting for another 14 days to plan out when you and your husband will be having sex. (Sorry for being so open but let's be real). This monthly battle is crazy! You guys are in our prayers! Infertility sucks. With all that being said I know that when the day comes that we are mothers we are going to appreciate and love every minuet (or almost every minuet;). We have to keep the faith, share our story to help those around us and continue to pray! I love your gratitude post and I know I need to be more grateful. This journey has been unexpected but it has helped my husband and I grow so much and trust in the Lord. I wish I could do more for you. I am feeling the heartache with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haylea, thank you so much! I love that you are open because YES! The longest 14 days of the month and scheduled sex. Then the longest week of the month pre-period... longer if your period is late. It's completely horrible. You are in my prayers as well. We will both get through this!

    ReplyDelete