November 19, 2014

Tata Nadia + my views on death

I've started and re-started this post a million times it seems. How do you write about someone who deserves a movie?

I'll start by strongly encouraging you to read what Harvey Weinstein has to say about our dear Tata Nadia.

And then I'd recommend reading her obituary here and here.


Tata Nadia was the strongest woman I have ever met. The first time I met her was six years ago at my first Thanksgiving in Las Vegas with the DiCristofano's. She was the type of person who knew what she wanted and she didn't let anything stop her. She was hardworking and beyond generous. She was the type of woman who's influence stretched across the globe. She truly was one of a kind and it's no wonder why so many people miss her. She was glamorous and respected. She was everything a woman can hope to be.

I have three favorite memories of Tata Nadia.

The first was quite a few years ago at another Thanksgiving in Vegas. Tristan and I went on a walk around the neighborhood with Tata. It's my favorite memory because I loved watching her and Tristan interact. She had a hold of Tristan's arm and the way the two of them talked... She loved him. And I know how much he loved her.

The second was just a few weeks before she ended up in the hospital. She had come to Utah to try some natural remedies for her cancer. They had stopped all chemotherapy and radiation because nothing was working so this was the last chance. We were celebrating Tristan's birthday but I was extremely sick... fever, chills, body aches, the whole nine yards. I had a kidney infection but I didn't want to ruin Tristan's birthday so I was hanging in there. Tata Nadia had been dealing with three fevers a day for weeks and she was obviously in more pain than I ever was and yet she was so concerned about me. She kept having Louie check my temperature. She kept telling Tristan to get me some tylenol or ibuprofen. And she kept saying that I needed to get home to get some rest. She was so selfless.

The third was one Saturday while she was still in ICU. I was working that day but came down to visit her during my lunch break. This was the first and only time I would visit her where we were alone. She always had someone at her bedside - her husband or her daughters Lindsay or Tanya. Her sister Maryse or her brother Louie. She was so loved and every family member wanted to spend as much time as possible with her. I don't know why no one was at her bedside that afternoon but I'll forever be grateful for the 45 minutes that we got to talk. Now that she is gone I imagine her holding our baby, saying exactly what she said that Saturday, "just stop trying, it will happen when it's meant to happen." And until then, she'll watch out for them for us.



I know that death is not the end, it is actually the beginning. It is another step forward in our Heavenly Father's plan for us. I know that families are forever. And everyday I am grateful for that knowledge. The knowledge that brings hope, the knowledge that reminds us that we will see Nadia again soon.

"The knowledge and understanding of the doctrine that God lives and Jesus is the Christ and that we have an opportunity to be resurrected and live in the presence of God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, makes it possible to endure otherwise tragic events. This doctrine brings a brightness of hope into an otherwise dark and dreary world. It answers the simple questions of where we came from, why we are here, and where we are going."     -Robert D. Hales

2 comments:

  1. I really love this. I am glad you got years with her, I only got months :( this is written well, and she's right. You WILL have baby soon. :) Love ya sis!

    ReplyDelete