March 12, 2015

Have a Day.

Today I am wishing I could shelter my family, friends and loved ones from all the pain and suffering that we find in this world. I know it's a necessary part of life. I really do know that. But sometimes, I wish it wasn't.

We all know that I've struggled with mental illness, and though I'm having an exceptionally good week, it doesn't mean everyone else is. So to those who may be in a dark place today, this is what I have to say to you:


Or if you know someone who may be in a dark place today, this is what you should say to them.

This is by far the best quote I've found to battle my depression. I can't tell you enough how true this is, how many times I've needed to hear this. 

People say that you can choose to have a good day or not. This is true to a certain degree. But some days, not so much. Some days, you'll just tear yourself down even further by thinking about how you should be able to choose to have a good day because guess what? You can't. And it sure feels like you will never have another good day for as long as you live. Days like that, just have a day. Because even that can be hard. I can't tell you how many rough days Tristan has had to feed me every meal because otherwise I wouldn't eat. I can't tell you how many of those rough days Tristan has to force me to shower and change my clothes. That sounds so gross but there are days when it is literally too much just to live. And that's where this quote becomes a gentle reminder to do just those minimal things and one day soon you'll be back to moving mountains.

2 comments:

  1. Love this quote. Thank you for sharing it. It's so true that somedays are much easier to focus on just living and not so much being happy. I know that when you try to force yourself to be happy, somedays it just makes it worse. So thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man this is great. Too often we put some much pressure on ourselves to have good happy days. But sometimes we just need to have a day...so good!

    ReplyDelete