Have you seen this commercial? I remember seeing it one night when I was taking my lunch break around 1am. The next day I went home to ask Tristan what was on our parenting "nevers" list. This is what we came up with.
1. We will never buy a minivan.
I'm starting to see the appeal... though I'm still quite certain I'd never convince Tristan :)
2. We will never let our child sleep in our bed.
Well... that lasted long. Nothing better than bringing the baby to bed at 7 am for snuggles and another few hours of sleep. I still vote they don't sleep the night in our bed though!
3. I will never let our kids play on an iPhone or iPad until they are at least 3 years old.
I've seen the studies on how the brain develops differently when exposed to those tiny screens too early. I know it will be hard to enforce on tough days and I know it will be even harder to convince Tristan of the importance (apple's number one fan...) but I really want to stand strong on this one.
4. We will only allow 30 minutes of TV time a day.
Guys, my baby is only 7 months old and we already watch a movie multiple times a week...
5. Our kids will never have a TV in their room.
I still stand by this one! Hopefully in 5-10 years I'll still be strong :)
6. Tristan will never share a drink with our kids.
Most of my family doesn't think he will stick to this as the years go by but his dad won't share drinks with any of his kids to this day so I wouldn't be surprised if he really never shares a drink with any of our kids. Me on the other hand... I'll totally share drinks with them!
7. Tristan will never eat off of their plates.
This goes along with #6. The slimy, half eaten food doesn't appeal to Tristan. Me on the other hand, I used to nanny a little girl and I would finish what she didn't eat of her dinner... and it wasn't even my child!
8. We will never have a strict sleep schedule so that our baby isn't able to adapt to new circumstances. We will not stop traveling or use our kids as an excuse to stop living life.
I must admit that I'm starting to see why you'd just go home when your baby is tired... :)
9. Our kids will never be afraid of water!
We got lucky with this child, but did we really think we could control their fears? What do you think? Can you parent in a way that determines if your child will like the water or not?
10. We will never limit our children's extracurricular activities.
This one will be hard and I know it. But, growing up, there were so many things Tristan wanted to do but his parents wouldn't let him because they didn't want to pay for it. I want to be sure that we put aside money each month starting now to be sure that we can let our kids have the opportunity to do those things that they enjoy, despite the cost.

No comments:
Post a Comment