Last minute, I decided that I wanted to have Mckai's first birthday party in Utah. After all, a first birthday is kind of a big deal, at least for the parents! And I wanted all our friends and family to be there to help us celebrate. Bonus: on his actual birthday we could just have a fun day and not stress about cake smashes and birthday party details. So we did it exactly one week before his birthday and the day before we flew back to Philadelphia.
I had been thinking about what theme I wanted to do for his birthday for quite a few months. When I stumbled upon a "you are my sunshine" themed party on pinterest, I knew that was what I had to do! If you know McKai, you know that he is the happiest, most smiley baby and has been from the day he was born (really though, he started smiling at 3 weeks old.) He really is his own little ray of sunshine. And he is most definitely my sunshine.
A huge thank you to Miranda for helping me buy all the decorations! I told her what I wanted and showed her a few pictures and she went crazy while I was at Lake Powell. That way, the day before his party I didn't have to do hardly any shopping and just put everything together. I could not have done it without her!
Here are a few details:
I knew I just had to hang up his monthly pictures so I hung twine and used clothespins to attach the pictures. My momma heart could hardly handle the change from left to right.
cake: Nothing Bundt Cakes
topper: designed by me and created by Miranda
flowers: costco
plates, napkins, cups, & utensils: zurchers
cupcakes: dippidee
'you are my sunshine' sign: hobby lobby
birthday banner: made by me
highchair banner: zurchers
I was so glad that we took the time to take some pictures of McKai with my family before the party started because once it was in full swing, it was over before I knew it and less pictures had been taken than I anticipated. As evidence by the lack of pictures of McKai with Tristan's family and even Tristan and I :(
We ate and mingled first. I chose to do waffles because hello, sunshine and breakfast just go together. It was evening but I love breakfast for dinner so I thought it was perfect. Waffles & fruit, eggs and bacon with juices or water. It was super easy and didn't require too much prep time which was nice since we didn't have much time to get ready for the party after Lake Powell. My mom and sister brought their waffle irons as well so we had three going at a time.
Next was presents. McKai absolutely loved being the center of attention. He is completely opposite of me in that regard. He was spoiled with two new cars/trucks which is perfect because the child is obsessed with pushing them around the house, a little talking book, bath toys, a puzzle and mega blocks with a dump truck.
these two pictures are just my favorite. where did mckai go!?!
Thank goodness we happened to do the cake smash last because he needed a bath after it. It was so fun to light his sparkler candle and watch him laugh in excitement as we brought it over to him and sang happy birthday.
photo credit: jamie's snapchat
He was hesitant at first, just taking small licks of the frosting, lounged in his highchair with his one arm resting on the arm rest.
photo credit: miranda's snapchat
But he did eventually dig in! He seemed to love it, and even shared a few tastes with me (Tristan won't go anywhere near food or drink that the child has touched... insert eye roll here). Once he was done, he let me know by pushing the cake off of his highchair.
photo credit: shay's snapchat
I know it's cliche to say but I honestly cannot believe that he is really one year old! It has been the best year. I absolutely loved everything about my labor and delivery, watching him grow and develop, it has all been so perfect even through the hardest times. He really is our little sunshine and I'm so grateful for the addition of his sweet spirit into our home. We love you Mckai, forever!
Happy Birthday!






























No comments:
Post a Comment