August 4, 2016

a birthday at the beach

We decided that there was no better way to celebrate a birthday than at the beach. So on McKai's first birthday, we drove to Cape May, New Jersey. Luckily, it was a Sunday so Tristan could join us! While we were driving there, we saw the most gorgeous field of wildflowers in the middle of the two highways. I told Tristan to stop so that we could take a picture, he thought I was kidding. When they ended and he hadn't stopped I actually got kind of mad at him... Lucky for both of us, we passed one more! My mom was not okay with us stopping on the side of a busy highway but these pictures! So worth it!

 Tristan is the best 'Instagram husband', thanks babe!


I fell in love with Cape May. It is seriously picture perfect. The most gorgeous, colorful beach houses everywhere. I want one!


The beach that we went to was also amazing. Where we were, there weren't very many people! The sand was perfect, little to no seaweed or reeds and way less of those creepy things that we saw at Stone Harbor. We played in the water, walked along the shore, and laid out/played in the sand with McKai all day long. The water was still a little cold but not bad once you were actually in it! McKai was indifferent about playing in the ocean but once we filled up his pool with water and let him play in that, he was happy as could be! Guys, the pool thing, greatest idea ever! He consumed way less sand this trip than last time we were at the beach because of it :)










Once we were all tired and hungry, we drove to Wildwood, New Jersey where my mom, sister, McKai and I were staying in a hotel for the night. We all got showered and ready before going to The Little Italy for dinner.

 all the heart eyes for my birthday babe!



 Tristan took this picture and I'm telling you, he secretly loves those sandals ;)


 Why are McKai and Shay seriously the cutest?? He always takes the best pictures with his favorite auntie!

My very favorite. I never want to forget those kisses!

After dinner, Tristan had to drive home to work the next day. The rest of us headed back to the hotel. The plan was to put McKai to bed but when I was trying to get him into his jammies he was bouncing off the wall! He pretty much ran around naked for 15 minutes just laughing his head off. So we decided to head to the pier and McKai could fall asleep in his stroller. It was too much fun :) My mom was too nice and pushed McKai around while Shay and I rode the rides. We did a couple of rollercoasters (each multiple times) and the swings. The views from above were gorgeous!



McKai was so intrigued by all the lights and noises he stayed awake the entire time right up until we were walking to the car. Little stink! He was such an angel though. We stayed out until just after midnight and he was just along for the ride. I really lucked out with him :)


The next day we went to the beach that our hotel was on in Wildwood Crest. It was much more crowded but I actually loved it! It was a very gradual incline into the water so McKai could sit in the waves. He had a lot of fun with it which was so cute! The water was warmer too which I don't really understand how but I'm 75% positive it really was warmer than the beach we had gone to the day before. By the end of the afternoon, McKai was covered literally head to toe in sand and so was I (a consequence of playing with a baby in the sand and letting him crawl all over you, I suppose). At this point, he was so tired. Beach days and birthdays are exhausting! After rinsing him off, we walked along the beach. He fell asleep on my chest and my heart about exploded! 


I actually got to "lay out" in the sun for the first time that trip while McKai slept on top of me. It was so relaxing for an hour or so until I got too hot. When I rolled him over to the towel, he didn't stay asleep much longer so I'm glad we got to snuggle for awhile. It was the perfect ending to the perfect weekend! Oh how we love the beach. Here's to hoping we make it back at least one more time before the summer is over!


No comments:

Post a Comment