The t.v. was loud enough that I couldn't hear anything else. That's how I didn't hear the honk as his car locks, the footsteps taking the stairs two at a time, or the unlocking and opening of the door that always tells me Tristan is home. I was still going through scenarios in my head when the bedroom door opened and there stood Tristan with a bouquet of flowers and a giant teddy bear. His face was lit up in a giant grin as though he had no idea that I had been worried for the past eight hours. He told me the giant teddy bear was a life size snuggle buddy for the next time he has to leave and the flowers were to show how much he missed me and thought of me the whole time he was gone.
*The Next Day*
I locked the car, grabbed my backpack, and headed up the three flights of stairs to my apartment. Unlike earlier that day when I had hurried down those same stairs, blinded by the sun, it was now pitch black and fake light was all that showed me the way. I turned the knob. It was locked. My mind flitted back to a minute ago but I couldn't recall whether or not his car was in the parking lot. My cold fingers fumbled with the keys as the wind whipped hair around my face. The key fit easily into the lock and I opened the door.
The apartment was dark except for the flicker of easily twenty or thirty candles placed perfectly around the room. The apartment was spotless. The carpet that had been covered with fluff and fabric from the toy Kacee had destroyed earlier that day still had the lines showing where the vacuum had touched last. The couch and pillows were pristine and my giant teddy bear sat there to greet me. The blue and white candles led the way from the doorway to the table. My flowers were placed in the center of the table and dinner was already there. I wandered further into the room. The kitchen was mostly clean except for a few indications that dinner had been made just moments before. And set on the counter was the Pazookie pan and cookie mix that we had received for Christmas. I turned and found that the candles continued into the bedroom. The bed was made. On the bed were our beach towels, my new swimsuit, Tristan's new swimsuit, and the key to the hot tub at our apartment.
********
Best surprise. Best date night. Best Thursday ever.
I. Have. The. Most. Wonderful. Husband. In. The. World.
Thank you for showing me that I have no reason to be sad when you have to leave me for awhile for work. Thank you for showing me that I have no reason to be upset that I work every Friday, Saturday and Sunday this month.
I LOVE YOU!
this is the cutest thing in the whole entire world!!! fairytales do come true :) i miss you kris!
ReplyDelete