November 12, 2014

A list of the little things.

For the first time in my blogging life, I thought ahead and wrote out the posts I wanted for the next few days. WHAT? I know, unheard of. But then today started and all of the sudden none of those posts fit. They don't fit how I'm feeling. They don't fit what's going on. And so they will continue to sit in drafts and I think I may have just been taught that procrastination is the better option... hmmm... what do you think?

Instead I'm just going to throw together a list as best as I can. With Thanksgiving just around the corner, with some family stuff that we are currently in the midst of, and with the fact that life really is made up of little things that become the big things... 


This is my list of the current little things:

1. Fun mail.
Am I the only one who feels like all that ends up in my mailbox these days is credit card offers, coupons, and bills? Yikes. Maybe that's why I check the mail... oh... once every few weeks. But! This week I got a little postcard from my best friend. Yay! And today the book I bought is coming to me! I could squeal I'm so excited. The book is Yes Please by Amy Poehler and yes I am dying to read it. Baby Mama is quoted at least once daily in this household and I'm excited to get some more one-liners :)

2. A freshly groomed puppy.
Kacee is the prettiest pup in the world. That said, she gets a serious case of "hairy toe-sis" & "smelly ears" by the time we take her back to the groomers. So yesterday when she greeted me all pretty with her little paws, fluffy hair, & unimaginable softness... greatest greeting ever.



3. A picnic lunch with the husband.
Even when it's freezing cold there is nothing like a little picnic to get you out of the house. Even better, when it's planned by your husband amidst a crazy work week. Nothing means more to me than when he takes just an hour out of his hectic schedule to spend some time with me.


4. Nina's Soup.
This past weekend I got hit with the stomach flu. Tristan made me a large supply of Nina's soup. I just ate the last bowl today and I'm actually sad it's gone. It's not only the best sick soup, it's just the best comfort soup.

5. Sunsets.
Sunsets that make the mountains look like red rock. Sunsets that turn the lighting in your home just a little pinker. Sunsets where the sun is barely left as if to say, "don't worry, I'll be back tomorrow."



6. Nurses that care.
I'm talking about the kind of nurses who connect with their patients to a level that, even when the patient is transferred to another unit, that nurse still finds a way to come visit. Now that is what nursing should be about. 
I will strive to be like this nurse that took care of Tata Nadia. What an amazing example.

7. Compliments.
The kind that come from cute little seven-year-olds who still get quiet once they get your attention. The kind that come when you woke up early and didn't remember to put make up on. The kind that remind you that being pretty isn't dependent on make up, curled hair, & expensive/fashionable clothing.

8. This picture.
Tristan took this picture of Tata Nadia the day he got his new camera as he was playing around with it and it ended up being one of my favorite pictures. Look at those perfectly manicured fingernails. Nadia is the strongest woman I have ever met. I love this picture because it shows that even the strongest people have to rest sometimes. And that's okay.



That's all I've got for today. What are the little things in your life this week?

2 comments: