I
was naive to the fact that getting pregnant doesn't always just happen when you
decide you're ready for it to happen. Who knew it could be so much work? Who
knew that you're life would soon get broken into the days of your cycle? Month
after month... Around & around...
It
all starts with Day 1.
July
3, 2014
I’m not pregnant. Surprise, surprise. Goodbye month
seven. Hello, countdown to ovulation.
Day 1 is usually accompanied by a lot of tears, a lot of
cold thoughts like, “I don’t care, I didn’t want to be pregnant anyway.”,
breaking the news to the ever optimistic husband, & then getting on with
your day (which is truly the hardest part).
The first week (days 1-7) comes with a wide range of
emotions that come from A. being on your period and B. starting over again. I usually
eat a lot of chocolate. Mostly, I try to think optimistic thoughts and stay
away from the hole of negativity and depression. Some months I succeed better
than others but overall I think I do pretty well.
The second week (days 8-14) typically comes up pretty
quickly for me. Assuming everything is working correctly inside, your body
should be gearing up for ovulation. This is the part that they don’t teach you
growing up, that you only have a short window to conceive. Typically, five days
before ovulation and 24 hours after ovulation. With the second week comes
scheduled sex (excuse my bluntness).
July 14, 2014
This baby-making stuff is driving me
to the insane asylum. Overall, I’ve been pretty regulated emotionally. I have
the typical ups and down but all in all I would say I was doing all right. I’m
still doing fine I’m just freaking out at the wrong time of the month. Usually
I just have my PMS freak-outs and that’s it. This time, it’s mid-month. The
only explanation… It’s ovulation time and the stress of failure is
overwhelming.
The third week (days 14-21) is possibly the longest week of
the month. It’s the week where your brain turns to “Is this the month?” mode.
If you’re on a fertility drug such as Clomid, this is when
it really starts to kick in. Meaning, you’re suddenly a crazed woman who is
laughing hysterically one moment then drowning in a puddle of tears next. The
worst part, the tears are over nothing. Nada. The other worst part, you know
it’s happening and yet there is no way to stop it. There is literally no
control over it.
I wasn’t on Clomid in July so we’ll
jump a few months ahead for this one.
September 30, 2014
I cry on the daily, sometimes three
times. Yesterday for example: 1. Hearing the story of the cooling baby we have
on the unit right now. 2. After a kind co-worker asked how Clomid went last
month. 3. When I remembered Tristan had to go to bowling. Heaven help us.
Then the very next day, during the
middle of a night shift when I burst into tears for a solid 15 minutes at
least…
October
1, 2014
Why
can I not stop crying?! Seriously, it’s getting out of hand.
It’s at the end of this week that implantation happens. Which
brings me to the last week.
The fourth week (days 22-28) aka Hell Week.
This is the week when I (and I’m assuming other women in my
same position) start diagnosing myself with pregnancy symptoms. Every headache,
bout of nausea, tired day, sore boob, & urge to pee – really anything –
becomes a sure sign that this must be the month!
This is the week when you swing from thoughts of, “I’m
pregnant!!” to “This isn’t the month. Whatever. I’m over it. Just let me start
my period already.”
July 17, 2014
I’m not kidding. I am losing my
mind. I am mixing up patients like crazy. I can’t remember who is on feeding
protocol and who isn’t. I can’t remember who I’m charting on halfway through
charting. I have felt like a complete idiot all day. I really am smart I
promise. My coach is probably looking at me like, “who is this bumbling dummy?”
Seriously though, I think I left my brain at home. Do I dare think it’s
pregnancy brain? Or am I truly going crazy?
July 20, 2014
Fake
pregnancy symptoms for the day:
-
constant
heartburn, food didn’t make a difference
-
sore boobs
-
being a
complete airhead
July
24, 2014
I am so tired. I went to bed at a decent
time last night… probably 10. This morning I woke up at 4 am to Kacee panting.
I had to work and couldn’t fall back asleep. But then work called to cancel me
so by 4:30 I was asleep again. Tristan and I woke up around 10. I got up for
breakfast but within an hour I was exhausted and crawled back into bed. From
then on, I slept. I vaguely recall Tristan trying to wake me up twice but it
just wasn’t happening. I finally got myself out of bed at 4:00 p.m. What is
wrong with me? 18 hours of sleep, seriously?
And finally, the “I’m late” days. Some months I don’t have
this (thank goodness!!) and some months it ranges from 3-7 days. This is the
time when I find myself dreaming of how I’m going to tell Tristan. And then,
how we’d tell our family and friends. But then, I take a negative pregnancy
test (or three…) and eventually the month starts back at day one.
August 4, 2014
So long month eight… hello month
nine. It’s crazy to think that if we had been able to conceive our first try,
we’d be having a baby this month.. And yet, here we are.
And all this is assuming that you actually have a regular period. I know a lot of people struggling with infertility don't even get that luxury...
A month in the life of infertility.
Currently: My favorite posts about infertility.

thank you so much for following along with my blog! And congrats on your little one Kaydens are the BEST!
ReplyDeleteWell... I don't have a little one yet, they're just all named all ready haha... I'm not crazy I promise :) but hopefully sooner rather than later!
ReplyDeletePraying for you. Infertility is so tough. We struggled for years before we had our son. Hang in there. And keep trying. It's worth all the pain in the end.
ReplyDeleteThank you, I appreciate the prayers. And I love to hear other peoples success stories :)
ReplyDeleteI don't think you are crazy at all I have clothes for a little girl that is just a dream so I get it. She also has her name picked out too.
ReplyDeleteI love your honesty and candor in this post. It's awesome that you are writing about this issue and letting other people know about it. You rock.
ReplyDeleteOh, how I can relate! We've wanted another baby for nearly a year now and still, nothing. I was fortunate enough to become pregnant quickly and easily with my first two babies,but this third one eludes me. I understand the frustration and the tears. Hang in there. You're not the only one. I love your honesty.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry! I'll send prayers your way. Together we will all make it through this not so fun but enlightening journey.
ReplyDeleteI came across your blog and I am sorry to say that you do NOT know the first thing about infertility. My husband and I have tried for four years. Normal expectancy is at least a year. Please do not talk about infertility until you truly know what it is. Sorry to leave such a negative comment, I just think if you were so impatient and had to go to your OB while still in your FIRST year (what kind of OB would give you clomid knowing it hadn't been a year yet) is quite ridiculous. You try for four years, and then talk about your "infertility" very ashamed at this entire post.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your four year struggle. You're absolutely right, I have no idea what it would be like in another few years. But I do know that it was just as painful and I was just as devastated over the negative pregnancy test I got at three months as I was over the negative pregnancy test I got at a year and three months. I apologize that you are unable to relate to my story but I hope you find comfort and support in the stories of others. A few of my favorites are: http://gardnerquadsquad.com - a 7 year struggle that ended in quadruplets, http://www.therhouse.com - a couple who fought their infertility by adopting, and http://babyridleybump.blogspot.com - they've been trying for about three and a half years with three failed IVFs. I sincerely hope and pray that you will get your little one!
ReplyDelete