November 6, 2014

{ take me back } ecuador

I am beyond excited to start this new series, { take me back }. I've been thinking about this for awhile and am thrilled to finally have time to start it. It's inspired by this post by Emi at The Well-Traveled Wife. If you've never been over to her blog... go. now! It is adorable and I know you will enjoy living vicariously through her, just as I do.

Not long after I wrote, "Craving an Adventure", I came across her tips for curing the travel bug without going anywhere. I already do a lot of things on the list but #12 is the one that really stuck out to me. So here we go, the start of re-living my past travels until we get to go on our next trip. Let's hope it cures my travel bug. And hopefully, I can give you enough reason to go see these places yourself! Or at least put them on your bucket list :)

e c u a d o r  -  2 0 1 0

^ the view from the balcony where I lived... for three glorious months!^

Cuenca, Ecuador. This charming city is located in the highlands of Ecuador. Think cobblestones streets & gorgeous cathedrals. It is the third largest city in Ecuador and personally, my favorite. I may be a bit biased but regardless, it's worth visiting!

^a gorgeous view seen on the bumpy & windy drive to Guayaquil^

Guayaquil, Ecuador. This is the largest city in Ecuador. If you're LDS, go to the temple there! It is amazing. And you'll likely encounter a group of Saints who have traveled many hours to be there. It is truly inspiring. If you're not LDS, there is plenty more to do.


Melacon 2000. This is a lively boardwalk along the Rio Guayas.

Santa Ana Hill. This is the place where the city was born. 


Las Penas. This is an adorable, colorful town with 440 steps to a lighthouse. Think quaint & amazing views.

Parque Bolivar. This park in the middle of downtown has land iguanas everywhere! Even in the trees, so beware because I definitely got peed on, yuck!


^hiking to the waterfalls^

I wish I could remember the name of the waterfalls that we hiked to... I'm sure if I went through my journals long enough I'd figure it out but all I can say about it is that it was beyond green, an amazing hike, & freezing cold water. This was probably my favorite "field trip" that we went on.



^the views were unreal. & look, we were basically ants on the hill.^


^ziplining, just do it :)^

^an old cathedral that was built into the mountain. I'm spacing on the name, maybe this is why this isn't a travel blog!^


^the views from the top of the cathedral were breathtaking^


Ingapirca. The largest known Inca ruins in Ecuador. It is home to the Inca Empires only remaining sun temple.

^the face on the mountain, also found at Ingapirca^


La Playa. It was not the prettiest beach I've ever been to but it was a cool experience nonetheless. We arrived at a giant port for bananas and were ushered onto a small boat that took us along a river to the ocean.

Quito, Ecuador. This is the capital and though I didn't spend much time there, I know a lot of people who did and loved it!

I went to Ecuador to volunteer in orphanages with a nonprofit organization called Orphanage Support Services Organization (OSSO). It was a life-changing experience beyond exploring the country. You can read more about my experiences here and I encourage you to take a look at their website. They are opening up more volunteer opportunities in Thailand and Mexico! There is an opportunity out there to fit anyone. It truly is life-changing.

4 comments:

  1. ahhh you know i love this!! this trip looked amazing and i'm so glad you are reliving it and posting about it! :) you're the cutest ever!

    xo welltraveledwife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous. Before I met Braden, like right before, I had already submit a form to OSSO to go volunteer for a few months. A ton of my friends went and said it completely changed their lives! I still hope one day I get to experience something like this! I met Braden and got engaged so fast I never got to go.. so I love these pics! How fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin DiCristofanoNovember 8, 2014 at 7:35 PM

    Oh goodness don't tell me that! You and my sister both kill me! She was all set for a study abroad in London and opted out once she met her hubby. I just keep thinking she could have had both the study abroad and the guy they just would have gotten married a few months later... But you guys probably have your priorities a little straighter than I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha well, part of me was so obsessed I didn't think I could leave him.. part of me wondered if he would wait or move on.. haha. BUT I still think i'm going to do something like this! I will just go alone for a few weeks or bring Braden along. This has always been on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete