December 1, 2014

hello, december


december looks like...

+big fluffy snowflakes drifting to the earth.
+steam coming from a mug of hot chocolate while the fireplace flickers near your slipper-clad feet.
+the twinkling of colored lights peeking through the snow.
+crowds of people bustling from store to store with bags on each arm.
+families gathered around the table for a meal and celebrating.

december sounds like...

+the squeal of children and the whoosh of wind as you sled down the hill.
+the upbeat tune of your favorite christmas songs as well as the calm & pretty tune of your other favorite christmas songs.
+the crinkling of wrapping paper and the slicing of the scissors as it glides across the wrapping paper.
+silence, just silence as the world around you hibernates.
+the ringing of bells.

december tastes like...

+homemade sugar cookies, grandma z.'s recipe, with the crunch of sprinkles and the taste of cinnamon sprinkles.
+mom's homemade caramels.
+the salty sweet of chocolate covered cashews and pretzels.
+peppermint... peppermint bark, peppermint hot chocolate, candy canes...
+the cheesy goodness of mom's traditional christmas morning breakfast casserole.

december smells like...

+evergreens, the smell of pine, it permeates the earth.
+cinnamon, it fills the home but originates from one tiny candle or an oven filled with cinnamon rolls.
+smoke from the wood-burning fireplace in our old cabin.
+the sweet smell of cookies baking in the oven.
+citrus. the christmas orange as it's peeled and sprays it's juices on unsuspecting victims within close proximity.

december feels like...

+the fuzzy of your favorite blanket.
+the biting feeling in your hands as they warm up after lots of time out in the cold.
+pure joy. anticipating santa and presents. remembering our savior, the true meaning of christmas. spending time with loved ones. serving others. and remembering a good year, a year that has flown by, a year full of trials and triumphs.
+giddiness. sitting at the top of the stairs waiting for the parents to get the video camera before you can go see your presents and start exploring your stocking.
+the crash of a snowball against your back that you soon realize came from your brother or sister, husband or wife, cousin or friend.

what does december mean to you?

14 comments:

  1. ah, this gave me chills to read. winter and christmas is MAGIC! what a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful post! I can't believe it is December already! It will be Christmas in a heartbeat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've captured the beauty of December so well!

    new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love this! Makes me so excited for this month :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay December and Christmas and everything that goes with! Especially yay for peppermint . . . I can't get enough of it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok, its official I AM SO EXCITED it's december. This post inspires me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited for December! A month full of goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and me both! Peppermint is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. me too, me too!! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! I'm glad you're excited because December really is the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you :) I know, this year has flown by. I'm starting to panic that I won't have time to fit in all my favorite traditions before Christmas is upon us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad I could inspire someone, seriously, that comment made my month!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Kayla! It truly is a magical time of year :)

    ReplyDelete