September 3, 2015

McKai's Birth Story - Part 3


We didn't get much sleep that night. Between learning to breastfeed, all the teaching that the nurses needed to do, and snuggling this miracle that is ours, I think I got about 1 hour and Tristan got about 3 hours of sleep. McKai struggled with low blood sugar the first 24 hours or so of his life which isn't unusual for someone his size. He caught on to breastfeeding rather quickly but since my milk wasn't in yet, we chose to supplement with a bottle. I pumped after each breastfeeding session so we could feed him that first and to help my milk come in faster, then we let him have formula. By our second day in the hospital his blood sugars had stabilized and I was just grateful he didn't need an IV.







In the morning, Tristan went home to shower and change so I sent McKai to the nursery so I could take a nap. Later that afternoon we had visitors. Tristan's parents and little sister Ashley, my parents and little sister Shay, my best friend Brooke, and Tristan's 'cousin' Kyle with his wife and two kids. It was fun to see them all and let them snuggle our tiny bundle. That night, Tristan and I were both thoroughly exhausted. We decided to let them take McKai to the nursery for the night, bringing him back to breastfeed. They had to do a carseat trial and a few blood tests anyway.


I woke up around 7 am missing our little guy like crazy! I woke Tristan up to ask him if I could call and get our baby back. He thought I was insane and told me to get a little more sleep since they'd be bringing him back to eat soon. I was still debating it with him when the nurse and the PCT brought him back and did their initial assessments on us both. That day we got to take our baby home with us and our lives have changed forever in the best possible way!



The first night home was rough but we got a system figured out and the next few weeks truly felt like we were living a dream. Once Tristan left for St. Louis, I think reality finally hit me. We've been slowly figuring things out since and though it's been hard at times, I can't imagine a life without our snuggle bug. A huge thanks to those who brought dinners, our visitors, all the gifts, and support! McKai is not only loved by us but by our family and friends. You are all the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment