I've slowed down on the reading a bit but I'm hoping to pick it back up and read at least a book a month! As always, I love to hear your recommendations :)
Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll
Summary:
HER PERFECT LIFE IS A PERFECT LIE.
As a teenager at the prestigious Bradley School, Ani FaNelli endured a shocking, public humiliation that left her desperate to reinvent herself. Now, with a glamorous job, expensive wardrobe, and handsome blue blood fiancĂ©, she’s this close to living the perfect life she’s worked so hard to achieve.
But Ani has a secret.
There’s something else buried in her past that still haunts her, something private and painful that threatens to bubble to the surface and destroy everything.
With a singular voice and twists you won’t see coming, Luckiest Girl Alive explores the unbearable pressure that so many women feel to “have it all” and introduces a heroine whose sharp edges and cutthroat ambition have been protecting a scandalous truth, and a heart that's bigger than it first appears.
The question remains: will breaking her silence destroy all that she has worked for—or, will it at long last, set Ani free?
My Review: 3/5
This was my first audio book and though I'm not giving it the best review, it did make me realize that I can like audio books! (I was super skeptical...) but this one kept me intrigued the entire way through. My biggest problem with the book was that I couldn't see the character in the beginning scenes in the character that the book ends with. I get that characters evolve but not that much! Also, I didn't love the language so if you don't like lots of swear words, this probably isn't the book for you.
Carry On, Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton
Summary:
Glennon Doyle Melton’s hilarious and poignant reflections on our universal (yet often secret) experiences have inspired a social movement by reminding women that they’re not alone. In Carry On, Warrior, she shares her personal story in moving, refreshing, and laugh-out-loud-funny new essays and some of the best-loved material from Momastery.com. Her writing invites us to believe in ourselves, to be brave and kind, to let go of the idea of perfection, and to stop making motherhood, marriage, and friendship harder by pretending they’re not hard. In this one woman’s trying to love herself and others, readers will find a wise and witty friend who shows that we can build better lives in our hearts, homes, and communities.
My Review: 4.5/5
I have a really hard time with non-fiction/self help books, not because they aren't good but because they don't keep my interest which is extra important when you're trying to read during a night shift! But, I had so many people recommend this to me that I decided to give it a try. And if I put my preconceived ideas about self help books aside, I actually really did enjoy this once I got into it! It was funny and relatable and I think it can benefit a lot of people these days.
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Summary:
Marie-Laure lives with her father in Paris near the Museum of Natural History, where he works as the master of its thousands of locks. When she is six, Marie-Laure goes blind and her father builds a perfect miniature of their neighborhood so she can memorize it by touch and navigate her way home. When she is twelve, the Nazis occupy Paris and father and daughter flee to the walled citadel of Saint-Malo, where Marie-Laure’s reclusive great-uncle lives in a tall house by the sea. With them they carry what might be the museum’s most valuable and dangerous jewel.
In a mining town in Germany, the orphan Werner grows up with his younger sister, enchanted by a crude radio they find. Werner becomes an expert at building and fixing these crucial new instruments, a talent that wins him a place at a brutal academy for Hitler Youth, then a special assignment to track the resistance. More and more aware of the human cost of his intelligence, Werner travels through the heart of the war and, finally, into Saint-Malo, where his story and Marie-Laure’s converge.
My Review: 4/5
Love love love. Why do I love historical fiction so much?? I had a little bit of a hard time keeping characters straight, though that could be related to the fact that I read this book over about 2 months... I think I probably could have given it 5/5 if I would have had time to sit down and read it through rather than bits and pieces over such a long period of time. If you like books about World War II, you'll definitely want to give this one a read!



No comments:
Post a Comment