July 9, 2018

the tales of traveling with frontier

I have to write this down so that I don't let history repeat itself... again.

Remember Cancun? The lost luggage? That was with Frontier. Tristan swore we would never use them again.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, Mckai and I were headed home to Utah with our good old friend Frontier. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 7:00 pm from Tulsa, OK. We were standing in line to check our bag when I got the first email notifying us that our flight was delayed until 9:45 pm. Not ideal, that's for sure. With the flight delay we were going to miss our connection in Denver so they put us on the first flight out of Denver the next morning. We got to our gate to wait, and Wait, and WAIT. There was a cute little kids area that helped occupy Mckai, there was a bird in the airport that Mckai watched and followed for at least 30 minutes and there were a lot of kids that Mckai quickly made friends with. In fact it was the first time I had heard him try to communicate and talk to his friends and I loved that. We ended up being told that our flight would be delayed another time but that "our plane is in the air and on it's way from Denver". Lies. At midnight they cancelled our flight and informed us that our plane never made it out of Denver due to weather. The part that upset me the most was that they didn't just cancel the flight earlier so we didn't have to spend 8 hours in the airport.





Frontier didn't fly the next day so we were forced to find different flights. $1000 later we had flights on American the next day (Frontier will supposedly refund $800 of that but we are still trying to get it back!) Tulsa is 2 hours from Bentonville so Tristan obviously couldn't come get us so we found a hotel and crashed. Mckai got maybe 6 hours of sleep and I got 2 hours. We were exhausted but so happy to be home the next afternoon when we finally made it. Thank goodness for no more road bumps.

 I secretly LOVED sharing the bed with him!



You know when things go so bad you're certain it couldn't possibly happen to you again? That was how I felt yesterday. The day we were flying from Utah back to Arkansas. During our delays on the way to Utah I kept thinking, well if you fly often enough, things like this our bound to happen. So yesterday, I felt that there is no way it could happen again. We left for the airport at 8 am and by the time we got to our gate, Tristan texted me, "delayed... already..." . It was only 30 minutes so not a big deal!



We made it to Denver without any problems and I foolishly thought, phew... we got our delay out of the way (and it was an easy delay) so the rest will be smooth sailing. Nope.


By the time our plane officially took off that night (scheduled to depart at 3:30 pm) I had received 8, yes EIGHT emails informing me of further delays. Initially it was delayed until 5:30 pm. Mckai fell asleep as we stood in line to get on the plane and I thought, perfect he will sleep the entire way! I sent Tristan a text saying, "leaving! 1 hour and 9 minutes", they did the safety demonstration, my phone was on airplane mode but then the radios weren't working. Maintenance came, 30 minutes later they said they'd reset it and we just had to wait 5 minutes so the radios could find themselves on the map. Nope. 30 minutes later they informed us that they were going to try replacing the radios.


Eventually they kicked everyone off the airplane and announced that the flight was not cancelled (yet...) and they were not offering any refunds or vouchers. Long story short they sent us to another gate to another plane. We waited another hour for that plane to finally get there (we were all convinced it wasn't ever going to show!). We boarded, I texted Tristan when we were on the airplane (8:50 pm) and with zero announcements on what was taking so long, we didn't take off until 9:45 pm. Oh my goodness. Longest day of my life.



Once we landed in Tulsa, there wasn't a gate open. We sat on the tarmac in the airplane from 11 pm until 11:45 pm. And if you think this only sucked for Mckai and me, let me tell you that Tristan sat in the cell phone lot at the Tulsa airport for 5 hours! Once we got off the plane and to the baggage claim a security officer came to make the announcement that they had called the supervisors of frontier to find out where our luggage is but had not yet heard back from them. NO JOKE.

Yes we did finally get our luggage. And yes, after a two hour drive we did finally make it to Arkansas. But this. This is why we cannot be tricked into flying Frontier again. The prices just won't be worth it. So if you ever hear me say that I'm flying Frontier (minus our flight back to Utah to use up the $600 worth of vouchers we've received... though I'm still extremely wary of even doing that!) slap me over the head and send me here. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment